[PLUG] RPM v build from source- removing?

Craighead, Scot D craighead.scot at vectorscm.com
Fri May 24 00:13:38 UTC 2002

> I prefer to just install to a local prefix.  Then uninstall really is
> just an `rm -rf' and the price is just a tiny bit of $PATH
> maintenance.  Don't have to worry about filename clashes that way,
> either.  Don't need no steenking "make uninstall".

Personally, I would be afraid to install something with make install that
came from a programmer that was so sloppy that he didn't include this
option.  I would wonder what else was done sloppy.  Or it could be one of
the big ego programmers that think everyone must want my program forever!  I
keep having to "fix" windows PC's that start up with more than a dozen apps
running something because every time you install a program, it put something
into the start up process without asking first.  I wonder if the reason for
this is to load a dll at startup so that it looks like the app comes up fast
when you start it.