[PLUG] RPM v build from source- removing?

Craighead, Scot D craighead.scot at vectorscm.com
Fri May 24 00:35:20 UTC 2002

-----Original Message-----
From: Russell Senior [mailto:seniorr at aracnet.com]
Sent: Thursday, May 23, 2002 5:30 PM
To: plug at lists.pdxlinux.org
Subject: Re: [PLUG] RPM v build from source- removing?

>>>>> "Scot" == Craighead, Scot D <craighead.scot at vectorscm.com> writes:

Russell> I prefer to just install to a local prefix.  Then uninstall
Russell> really is just an `rm -rf' and the price is just a tiny bit
Russell> of $PATH maintenance.  Don't have to worry about filename
Russell> clashes that way, either.  Don't need no steenking "make
Russell> uninstall".

Scot> Personally, I would be afraid to install something with make
Scot> install that came from a programmer that was so sloppy that he
Scot> didn't include this option.

It isn't a matter of sloppy, it is a matter of the build source not
being around after the install.  I unpack in /src, usually build from
a different directory, make check ; make install, then blow away both
the /src/foo and /build/foo.  The /build/foo would contain the
Makefile with the uninstall target.  Poof!  Not there anymore.  I
don't want a particular package any more, I just go to prefix I
installed, e.g.: /packages/utils/foo and say "ba-bye" with an rm -rf
and everyone goes home fat, dumb and happy.

This is about eliminating the need to retain and manage complex
"state" (in this case, what files you plunked where) by just putting
them all together.

--
Russell Senior         ``The two chiefs turned to each other.
seniorr at aracnet.com      Bellison uncorked a flood of horrible