[PLUG] RPM v build from source- removing?

Wil Cooley wcooley at nakedape.cc
Fri May 24 01:22:27 UTC 2002

On Thu, 2002-05-23 at 17:01, Longman, Bill wrote:
> > I prefer to just install to a local prefix.  Then uninstall really is
> > just an `rm -rf' and the price is just a tiny bit of $PATH
> > maintenance.  Don't have to worry about filename clashes that way,
> > either.  Don't need no steenking "make uninstall".
>
> This was a bit of a question that's been clanking around up top. Is that the
> typical way to get a source rpm to install into my directory of choice. In
> other words, what's the rpm equivalent of "tar xvf filename" when "filename"
> is a, say, kernel source rpm?

I just wrote up a brief description of this the other day...

http://nakedape.cc/wiki/index.cgi/RpmNotes

Wil
W. Reilly Cooley                           wcooley at nakedape.cc
              * Linux and Network Consulting *
irc.linux.com                                     #orlug,#lnxs

After all, all he did was string together a lot of old, well-known
quotations.
		-- H.L. Mencken, on Shakespeare