[PLUG] RPM v build from source- removing?

Russell Senior seniorr at aracnet.com
Fri May 24 06:16:45 UTC 2002

>>>>> "Scot" == Craighead, Scot D <craighead.scot at vectorscm.com> writes:

Russell> It isn't a matter of sloppy, it is a matter of the build
Russell> source not being around after the install.  I unpack in /src,
Russell> usually build from a different directory, make check ; make
Russell> install, then blow away both the /src/foo and /build/foo.
Russell> The /build/foo would contain the Makefile with the uninstall
Russell> target.  Poof!  Not there anymore.  I don't want a particular
Russell> package any more, I just go to prefix I installed, e.g.:
Russell> /packages/utils/foo and say "ba-bye" with an rm -rf and
Russell> everyone goes home fat, dumb and happy.

Russell> This is about eliminating the need to retain and manage
Russell> complex "state" (in this case, what files you plunked where)
Russell> by just putting them all together.

Scot> Good point.  How do you force it to install into the directory
Scot> you want?  What if it has libraries, or something else wierd
Scot> that it installs in a different place?

With any autoconf'd package, it is just a matter of specifying
--prefix to configure.  If it has libraries that are going to need to
be dynamically linked from other packages (which I find to be only
occasionally), then it is a matter of adding the path to
/etc/ld.so.conf and running ldconfig.

--
Russell Senior         ``The two chiefs turned to each other.
seniorr at aracnet.com      Bellison uncorked a flood of horrible