[PLUG] skipping DHCP during boot

Peter W shark at sharky.dyndns.org
Fri May 24 07:58:05 UTC 2002

On Thu, 2002-05-23 at 20:24, Phil Tomson wrote:
> On my laptop I use DHCP to get the IP address for eth0 upon bootup.
> However when I'm booting up somewhere and not connected to my network or
> another one with a DHCP server, I have to wait a couple of minutes for
> the network setup script to timeout before it realizes that it's not
> gonna get an address.  It seems that I recall that there is some way to
> skip a something like network setup while booting - some conrol-key
> sequence or other - how is it done?

If you are in Redhat, you can press 'i' right as when it starts loading
services and stuff (when you see "Starting foo ....   OK" instead of
kernel messages).  Then it'll ask you if you want to start each thing,
and you say 'y' up until it asks about "eth0", at which point you say
'n'.  At the next question you can say 'c' to continue with everything
else i think (and it won't keep asking you to confirm).

HTH.

~Peter