[PLUG] Sure sounds OT, but....

Kelly Guimont verso at mac.com
Fri May 24 21:45:28 UTC 2002

I have yet to find a way to make this work the way (I was led to believe) it
should. I am hoping that someone here has some insight they can share.

Here goes!
Machine 1 is an iMac running OS X (guts=Darwin=bsd mutation)
Machine 2 is a wintendo running win2k Professional.

Machines are connected via Linksys EtherFast Cable/DSL Router with 4 port
switch-BEFSR41 to be exact. Then, the Linksys is connected to a Motorola
Surfboard that gets me out to all of you.

Recently I was able to configure samba server on my iMac so that my files
(who am I kidding? I'm talking mp3s here) are accessible by the wintendo,
with a separate account (meaning not me). That account can play files
remotely, add, and also delete files. However, this account cannot rename
files, getting the error: Cannot rename <file>. There has been a sharing
violation: The source or destination may be in use. (it's an mp3, and it
isn't being played)

Both accounts are members of group admin.

I hope I covered everything, but can anyone here shed light on the problem?
I thought it was ownership, I thought it was Samba, I have tried everything
I know how to try, and I can't find any way to make this happen the way it
should. Is it even possible? Is there a better way to do this than samba?

I'd appreciate any assistance any of you can give me with this. I'm tired of
being hassled by my husband over my non-windows OS, and the fact that this
isn't working properly doesn't help much.

Thanks in advance,
-Kelly Guimont

Empire had the better ending! All Jedi had was a buncha Muppets!  -Clerks