[PLUG] Xeon?

Randy.Dunlap rddunlap at osdl.org
Sat May 25 17:07:27 UTC 2002

On Sat, 25 May 2002, Greg Long wrote:

| What are the advantages of running these Intel PIII Xeon CPU's vs.
| Pentium IV OR AMD Athalon CPU's in a K12LTSP server?
|
| It seems the biggest need of these servers is RAM and fast HD, not CPU.

Intel Xeon CPUs are server CPUs.  The biggest difference
that I recall from the (Intel) mainstream desktop CPUs
is larger on-chip cache.

P-III goes up to 1.2 GHz IIRC.  Don't know about P-III Xeons.
P4's go begin at 1.3 (?) or 1.5 GHz and now go up to 2.6 GHz.
P4 Xeons don't have as much speed variety (i.e., there are
a smaller number of P4's that are built and qualified as
Xeons) since it takes a separate design, manufacture, and
test for each one, and they don't expect to sell quite as
many Xeon (server) chips as desktop chips.

Anyway, for a (what, 30-node) server in this environment,
I'd expect the lower-cost P-III's [Xeons or not] or Athlons
(MPs) to be sufficient.

--
~Randy