[PLUG] mp3 file question

Wil Cooley wcooley at nakedape.cc
Mon May 27 00:04:35 UTC 2002

On Sun, 2002-05-26 at 16:26, Wil Cooley wrote:
> On Sun, 2002-05-26 at 14:36, Richard Steffens wrote:
> > "Kenneth G. Stephens" wrote:
> >
> > > The suggestion before was to create a small quiet file you combine in
> > > between the tracks you are collecting so that
> > > file1+quiet-zone-file+file2+quite-zone-file+ . . . .  Just record a few
> > > seconds of sound input with no input turned on.
> >
> > Now that you mention it, I remember that recommendation. That answers
> > the question of how to put a gap between songs, but how do you combine
> > several files into one file? I'm assuming that simple concatenation
> > won't work due to the presence of a header in each file. What I'd like
> > is something that would work like cat, but would build a new header for
> > the finished file. Something like:
> >
> > mp3cat file1.mp3 gap.mp3 file2.mp3 gap.mp3 file3.mp3 > newfile.mp3
>
> I think you can just 'cat' them together if they're encoded at the same
> bitrate and such.  I don't think there's a considerable amount of
> information in the header; imagine "tuning in" to a live MP3 stream--you
> don't necessarily start from the beginning.  And it works with .mpg
> video.

And in the case where the bitrates are different or where a simple cat
doesn't give you the expected results, most command-line and GUI mp3
players will ouput WAV to a file, which you can then convert.

mpg321(1):

       -s, --stdout
                 Use standard output instead of an  audio  device
                 for  output.  Output  is  in 16-bit PCM, little-
                 endian.

       -w N, --wav N
                 Write to wav file N instead of using  the  audio
                 device.  This  option will be preferred if --cdr
                 or --au are specified too. Specifying '-' for  N
                 will  cause  the  file to be written to standard
                 output.

       --cdr N   Write to cdr file N instead of using  the  audio
                 device. Specifying '-' for N will cause the file
                 to be written to standard output.

       --au N    Write to au file N instead of  using  the  audio
                 device. Specifying '-' for N will cause the file
                 to be written to standard output.

Wil
W. Reilly Cooley                           wcooley at nakedape.cc
              * Linux and Network Consulting *
irc.linux.com                                     #orlug,#lnxs

The verdict of a jury is the a priori opinion of that juror who smokes
the worst cigars.
		-- H. L. Mencken