[PLUG] mkisofs is insane.

Jeme A Brelin jeme at brelin.net
Mon May 27 23:56:48 UTC 2002

OK, what's wrong with my system?

When I run `mkisofs -r -o cd_image /path/to/directory`, my system slows to
a standstill and other processes bog down and I cannot be productive until
it's done.

I have a dual P-III 800 system with 1GB RAM and a single 7200 rpm 40GB
udma/100 IBM drive.  My homedirs are nfs mounted, but neither the cd_image
destination nor the cd image path are on that filesystem.

I assume I'm IO bound, but shouldn't this just be a single read and a
single write process?

I'm SURE I've got other reading and writing going on all the time.  This
is just absurd.

Anyone know what I can check?

J.
--