[PLUG] usb scanners and linux

Kyle Accardi sandbox at pacifier.com
Tue May 28 02:30:32 UTC 2002

I'm in the same boat.  Got an Epson Perfection 1650.  Kernel says:

kernel: usb.c: USB device 33 (vend/prod 0x4b8/0x110) is not claimed by
any active driver.
kernel: scanner.c: open_scanner(0): Unable to access minor data
modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module char-major-81

Dunno why it's looking for video4linux (char) or an I2O harddisk
(block).

/proc/bus/usb/devices indicates an Epson scanner.

Modules `scanner` and `usbcore` are loaded.

usbdevfs is mounted.

/dev/usbscanner -> /dev/usbscanner0

Setting the debug envars as per docs and running

$ scanimage -d epson:/dev/usbscanner >t.pnm

yields, in part,

[epson] SANE Epson Backend v0.2.08 - 2001-06-09
[epson] attach(usb /dev/usbscanner0)
[epson] attach: opening usb /dev/usbscanner0
[epson] sane_start: /dev/usbscanner0 open (USB) failed: No such device
[dll] init: backend `epson' is version 1.0.208
[epson] sane_open(/dev/usbscanner)
[epson] SANE Epson Backend v0.2.08 - 2001-06-09
[epson] attach(/dev/usbscanner)
[epson] attach: opening /dev/usbscanner
[epson] attach: open failed: Invalid argument
scanimage: open of device epson:/dev/usbscanner failed: Invalid argument

I think SANE is for Scanner Access Not Easy

--
Kyle Accardi