[PLUG] Synchronizing Samba and Windows passwords

D. Cooper Stevenson cooper at linux-enterprise.net
Tue May 28 05:23:57 UTC 2002

On Sun, 2002-05-26 at 23:28, Dan Young wrote:
> I believe you are looking for the windbind stuff in Samba that allows you
> to authenicate against a Windows domain controller. Some of this might be
> out of date but its a place to start:
> http://us1.samba.org/samba/docs/man/winbindd.8.html
> http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=samba+winbind
> http://www.mandrakeuser.org/docs/connect/csamba5.html

Absolutely. This is the route I would take. The latest Samba daemon is
capable of authenticating against your primary domain server and
creating translated Linux users "on the fly" based on the PDC's
authentication response.

This avoids your having to constantly update user accounts, passwords,
e.t.c.--Samba and the PDC do that work for you.

-Cooper