[PLUG] Kernels: 2.2 vs. 2.4?

Paul Heinlein heinlein at attbi.com
Tue May 28 13:20:53 UTC 2002

On Mon, 27 May 2002, Shannon C. Dealy wrote:

> If it is 2.4.9, you may want to switch kernels, it had quite a few
> problems as I recall, and the current stable kernel is 2.4.18
> (unless 2.4.19 came out while I wasn't paying attention) which by
> all accounts I have heard it is the most stable so far in the 2.4
> kernel series.

The Red Hat 2.4.9 kernel is heavily patched. I haven't used it on a
laptop recently, so I can't speak to pcmcia support, but the RH kernel
has proven very stable on the dozen-plus machines on which I support
it.

2.4.18, otoh, appears pretty stable, but there's a known nfs race
condition that plagues it.

--Paul Heinlein <heinlein at attbi.com>