[PLUG] mkisofs is insane.

Russell Evans revans at e-z.net
Tue May 28 20:32:56 UTC 2002

All file systems are resierfs 3.6 mounted with noatime. kernel 2.4.18 with SuSE
patches. mkisofs version 1.15a21

Running `mkisofs -r -o /tmp/cd_image /usr`

The average CPU was 8% with a few spikes to 45%. Mem usage was about 43M with a
few plunges. I have a hardware ATAraid on the drives using raid 0, one bigger
disk from two smaller.

Doing the test over using one IDE drive and writing to the hardware ATAraid
drive, the CPU utilization is always around 25%. Memory usage is topped at 10M.

I'm writing this as file is being created, the cd_image file up to 9.9G, The
windows manager commands (PWM) seem sluggish when using key shortcuts and terms
are slow to load. I have Pronto 2.4, Opera 6, amd gaim with all the plugins
running.  Sound is choppy and annoying, kernel AC97.

The system is workable.

I have been making cds with xcdroast, (uses mkisofs) on p166s for years but
never was doing much else on the box when I was doing the burns. The GUI to
xcdroast always worked, no sluggishness, so I think you have an issue.

Recompile of the latest cdrecord tools

Look at your hdpram settings. bonnie++ and dbench are, in my opinion, better
tools to measure the effects of the settings than using the -tT options on
hdpram.

Maybe the file system? I haven't played with any of other new file systems. New
means anything other than ext2 for me.

Is the file system a local resource or mounted remote file system? NFS or Samba
mount? I've never tried that.

Thank you
Russell