[PLUG] Sound Capture ?

Miller, Jeremy JMILLER at ci.albany.or.us
Tue May 28 20:11:52 UTC 2002

On linux I use gramofile.  I've used it to record practice tapes (45min a
side) many many times, and it's stable as a rock.

The interface is simple.  It does a decent job of de-hiss and de-pop if you
want it to.  And it it can automatically split the tracks for you if you
like, as well.

I never had any luck at all with Audacity... flakey as hell.

Agreed, most linux wav editors suck.  One that is stable and OK to use is
Studio.  (http://studio.sourceforge.net) But it can be really slow when
performing operations, or at least was the last time I used it.  The most
powerful one is mxv.  (Mixviews.)

It is very stable and has more features than you can shake a stick at.
BUT... it might very well fall under your definition of "convoluted".  It's
pretty hard to use without reading how to get started with the interface.
The manual isn't with it, which makes it worse.  But it is on the website.
(Hint: go to the "selecting edit points" chapter to get started.)
http://www.create.ucsb.edu/~doug/htmls/mxv-manual.html

Jeremy