[PLUG] running multiple sessions

Carla Schroder carla at bratgrrl.com
Wed May 29 01:11:06 UTC 2002

On Tuesday 28 May 2002 12:37 pm, Derek Loree wrote:
> On Tue, 2002-05-28 at 10:30, Carla Schroder wrote:
> > I've been playing with running multiple concurrent sessions on one
> > machine. It is easy and fun, at least in console mode. (RH 7.2) I can
> > open six, Alt+F1- F6, any combination of users I want. but when I try to
> > open an x session it crashes as soon as I switch away.
>
> I had a similar problem with my new NVidia card, it turned out to be an
> issue with framebuffers being enabled in the kernel.  As soon as I
> recompiled the kernel without framebuffers, I could switch to any
> console without lockup.  I can now start multiple X sessions (each as a
> different user), and switch between them.
>
> Good Luck
>
> Derek Loree

OK, everyone suggests a hardware issue. I don't think so. I'm starting from
the console- no X sessions running at all. F1-F6 are available, which I think
is normal behavior. I gleaned this nugget from another place: run

startx -- :1

from any of the consoles. This starts X on F7. I have KDE going there, happy
as a lark. I can switch back n forth just fine. There must be more to this.

Digging digging digging...... (to the tune of "Rawhide")

Carla