[PLUG] Your Resume

Alex Daniloff alex at daniloff.com
Wed May 29 02:09:38 UTC 2002

Hello,
I think that the simplest way to store resumes on a server is to put them
into SQL database in a plain text format.
Since all resumes have common parts like heading, body and footing they can
be put in separate columns in the table.
Upon potential employer request queried resume data can be formatted and
securely uploaded onto his/her PC in any available format.
I've done this thing at my work place for Document Control  Dept. already

Another idea is to automatically convert all resumes into common .PDF format
and store them in DB

Alex

On Tuesday 28 May 2002 04:52 pm, you wrote:
> I recently had a related idea of my own.
>
> There are a lot of HR folks (and most headhunters) who insist on
> receiving resumes as an M$ Word document.  This annoys me for several
> reasons.  In addition to the obvious, I've recently found using a word
> processor messy and tedious (especially since I discovered LaTeX :-)
>
> Also, many organizations are switching to web based job applications.
> If you have ever used one of these, you know what a PITA it is to cut
> and paste your resume to fit their form.
>
> Anyway, my idea is to come up with a format (open, of course!)
> specifically for resumes, based on XML (called, say, CVML--Curriculum
> Vitae Markup Language).  The point of this is to separate the content
> from the formatting.
>
> My vision includes a desktop application that takes the content and
> formats it however desired (HTML, LaTeX, RTF, even *shudder*...a Word
> document).  This application would also let the user edit the content,
> without worrying about the formatting.  Since the candidate would have
> access to the same application, they could format the resume themselves,
> if appropriate..."Here's my resume, both in CVML and Postscript"...
>
> If successful, this would have the following benefits:
> 	-Resume content would be standardized to an open format.
> 	-You come up with the format for a resume exactly once.  Once
> 	you get it right, you can change the content without ever having
> 	to fiddle with the formatting again.
> 	-The standardization opens up all kinds of possibilities in
> 	information exchange and archival.
> 	-The obvious--freedom from M$'s stranglehold.
>
> What would you folks think of this concept, and of using this
> directory/database as a launching pad for it?
>
> Dhruva
>
> On Tue, May 28, 2002 at 02:13:02PM -0700, quoth Alex Daniloff:
> > Your reply gave me an idea to create PLUG members resume database.
> > What if we have some directory/database on PLUG server to store
> > PLUGers resumes who were laid off and desperate to find a new job.
> > This directory should be accessible by everybody over TCP/FTP.
> > So PLUG membership could serve as some kind of reference for potential
> > employers and benefit unemployed PLUG members.
> >
> > Alex

MS Windows users should be covered under the Americans with Disabilities Act!
-------------->   Try Linux and you'll understand why   <--------------