[PLUG] RE: Steve Duin's column of 5/21/02

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at toybox.placo.com
Wed May 29 06:04:31 UTC 2002

 Robinson said,
>"... I find it ironic that Microsoft doesn't
>seem to be interested in working flexibly with schools to make sure
>their operating system is the first one those kids experience..."

Spoken like the typical educator with an overly puffed up view of
the importance of what he's doing.  This quote speaks volumes.

Why the heck do people like Scott Robinson give a crap about what
Microsoft thinks?  If they are so fired up about Linux, rather than
spouting sour grapes like they are doing, they would have nothing
whatsover to say about Microsoft and would spend their quoting time
talking up how great Linux is.

The fact is that people like Scott aren't moving to Linux and other
open source software because of it's superior technical merits.  They are
moving to it because:

1) They are mad Microsoft has stopped giving away software to them for free
and they feel that going to what Microsoft hates is a revenge tactic.

2) They still think the world (including Microsoft) thinks that schools
are a perfect advertising venue for products and will do anything to
get them placed, and that when they roar about what they are doing, the
world trembles.

3) They think that "getting serious" about Linux is going to give them
some sort of club they can use to beat pricing lower with Microsoft.

In short, the quote above is a perfect example of someone still clinging
to that Microsoft pacifier.  He may not be sucking on it every day of
his life anymore but he's very unhappy as all get out that he can't.

Just look at the wording in the article:

"...We don't know what to believe...."

Um, why do they care?  Just embrace Open Source and you don't have to pay
attention to Microsoft or worry about figuring them out.

"...suggested that Microsoft's licensing tactics were pushing them toward
Linux..."

So Linux is something that you have to be pushed towards?!?!

"...we have to look at open-source software..."

So, Open Source is something that you _have_ to look at rather than _want_ to
look at?  Sounds like an unwelcome homework assignment to me.

Hell, the title of the article is in this same vein.  Why wasn't it
titled:  "Schools finding Linux is better and cheaper than Windows"

Ted Mittelstaedt                                       tedm at toybox.placo.com