[PLUG] running multiple sessions

Carla Schroder pluglist at bratgrrl.com
Wed May 29 16:00:18 UTC 2002

On Tuesday 28 May 2002 10:42 pm, you wrote:
> On Tue, 28 May 2002, Carla Schroder wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
> > All peachy fine n dandy, except when I try to start a 2nd X session it
> > horks up a hairball and won't go. Error messages about session managers
> > and stuff. I tried Gnome, KDE, and XFCE. I suspect some deep down X
> > thing, maybe even warring X versions.
>
> Are you starting them as different users?  If not, you are probably going
> to have file collisions between different instances of the same window
> manager running from the same directories and files.  I've never tried
> to start multiple sessions this way, generally I configure xdm to startup
> multiple X login screens, and then login on each of them, though not as
> the same user on the same computer.

Ah yes, that was one problem. The initial trouble was starting from console
with no X running at all. Fixed that, then trying to start Gnome with
gnome-session, for some reason it doesn't want to do that. Then that goobered
things up until I logged out/ in on the screen I tried to start Gnome from.
Now everything works.

Now I must come up with another fun work avoidance manuever.

Carla