[PLUG] RE: Steve Duin's column of 5/21/02

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at toybox.placo.com
Thu May 30 07:48:46 UTC 2002

One upon a time Microsoft software WAS right.  The PC revolution would
never have gotten off the ground if it wern't for it.

But it stopped being right years ago because as the old saying goes,
absolute power corrupts absolutely.  It's been far too long since any
of Microsoft's products have been sculpted by the knife of competition.

I knew this a decade ago and as far back as 1994 I have a published article
on OS/2 that stats flat out that it's superior to Windows.  I've a mind
to ask you what you were doing in the industry then?  Had you even heard
of the UNIX detoxification program and were you aware of what the
Open Source community was striving for even then?

I've been implementing Open Source long before most people knew what it was,
and long before the term was coined.

>I'd prefer that the aftermath of our revolution is not classified as
>"bitter".

"Our Revolution" is an apt description. But when have you ever read of
a revolution in which someone wasn't hurt?  Your kidding yourself if you
think that you can go gradually so as to leave no bitterness.

Ted Mittelstaedt                                       tedm at toybox.placo.com