[PLUG] What is on-topic

John Meissen john at meissen.org
Thu May 30 18:41:14 UTC 2002

neil at pacifier.com said:
> >Carla isn't the only one who's been wondering when this will die or
> >move off the main list.

> And a number of people enjoyed reading and participating in the
> thread. You happened not to like it. So what?

So they could subscribe to a list where it's more appropriate. Probably
they already do.

> >Could it be that a topic is far enough off-topic when that is
> >suggested by other list readers?

> So any individual can decide when a topic is off-topic just by saying
> so?

If it will help, I'll add my $.02. Take it somewhere else. I don't want
to have to start filtering PLUG mail through my spam filter just to
get back to a reasonable traffic level.

> >It's been too philosophical for me, too. It helps that I filter list
> >traffice by poster.

> You are making the same argument as Carla: I did not like the thread
> therefore it is off topic.

> I am denfending this thread because I believe that the politics,
> economics, and yes, even philosophy around open source is on-topic
> here. Discussion even passionate disagreement about these matters is
> good.

>From the plug listinfo web page:

    PLUG -- General Linux discussion and assistance

This is no longer about Linux, or Linux assistance. This is now a debate
about open source, politics, and economics.

Take it to 'plug-talk', where it belongs.

john-