[PLUG] Vulgarity: Was: Steve Duin's column of 5/21/02

Russ Johnson russj at dimstar.net
Fri May 31 01:42:03 UTC 2002

After looking the word up in Merriam-Webster, it appears that ANY use of
that word is obscene and/or vulgar. In fact, they specifically call out
your use of the word, say that it's obscene, and also say in the same
definition that it refers to coitus.

For my examples, obscene == vulgar == profane == unprofessional.

I personally do not believe that it's possible to use that word in a
non-vulgar manner. There are hundreds of words that a less vulgar, that
imply the same meaning.

IMNSHO, the word was used to express the feelings of the author, and was
used for shock value. Nothing more, nothing less.

This is my opinion, YMMV.

At 05:58 PM 5/30/2002 -0700, you wrote:
>Well, my post was an attempt to point out that the word was NOT used in a
>vulgar manner.

Russ Johnson
Stargate Online

http://www.dimstar.net