New PLUG List - Was: [PLUG] Vulgarity

Russ Johnson russj at dimstar.net
Fri May 31 01:55:48 UTC 2002

It's not a question of what's clean and what's not.

Would you tell your boss ANYTHING with the word f*** in it? Would you speak
to customers that way?

Those are rhetorical questions. If you say you would, I don't believe you.
At least, not while trying to keep your job. :)

All I am suggesting is that we assume that we're all professionals here,
and act accordingly. The list is a great resource, with or without the
cussing. It's a better customer resource without.

I'm always amazed at the number of times I'll be looking something up on
the net, and the plug list archives are at the top of the list. What we say
here is seen by *LOTS* of people.

We all talk about promoting linux in schools, in the workplace, at home,
everywhere. If Joe CEO gets to looking around, and everywhere he looks he's
assaulted by words that many consider offensive, he's not going to consider
linux as a serious alternative. Mostly because what he sees looks like a
bunch of middle school kids trying to sound older than they are.

It most definitely does *NOT* look like professionals trying to promote a
better computing system.

Again, this is my opinion, ymmv.

At 06:36 PM 5/30/2002 -0700, you wrote:
>How about the people who want a "clean" list just start
>paying people to answer their questions for them?

Russ Johnson
Stargate Online

http://www.dimstar.net
telnet://telnet.dimstar.net