[PLUG] Vulgarity: Was: Steve Duin's column of 5/21/02

Jeme A Brelin jeme at brelin.net
Fri May 31 03:06:13 UTC 2002

On Thu, 30 May 2002, Russ Johnson wrote:
> After looking the word up in Merriam-Webster, it appears that ANY use
> of that word is obscene and/or vulgar. In fact, they specifically call
> out your use of the word, say that it's obscene, and also say in the
> same definition that it refers to coitus.

Do they claim that EVERY use of a word using that root is a reference to
coitus?  That's demonstrably false.

Also, you should check their definition of "obscene" and see if they do
not acknowledge that it's application is always subjective.  To use such a
subjective term in a supposedly objective reference work is totally
irresponsible.

...unless you'd like to go ahead and let some publishing company be the
supreme arbiter of taste and justice (or is that going to be Matt's job?).

> For my examples, obscene == vulgar == profane == unprofessional.
>
> I personally do not believe that it's possible to use that word in a
> non-vulgar manner. There are hundreds of words that a less vulgar,
> that imply the same meaning.

Well, for someone that thinks "obscene", "vulgar", "profane", and
"unprofessional" all mean the same thing, that might be true.  But for
those of us that appreciate the differences between the meanings of words,
it doesn't fly.

Can you name an adverb that is an intensifier that expresses distaste?

All slang exists to make up for a lack in the academic language.

> IMNSHO, the word was used to express the feelings of the author, and
> was used for shock value. Nothing more, nothing less.

Well, YNSHO is wrong.  As the author, I can say that shock value was not a
consideration.  It WAS used to express the feelings of the author (which I
stated very clearly in my first response), but I hope you realize that
EVERY word written on this list is an expression of the feelings or
beliefs of the author.

J.
--
     Jeme A Brelin