[PLUG] Vulgarity: Was: Steve Duin's column of 5/21/02

Alan alan at clueserver.org
Fri May 31 05:08:57 UTC 2002

On Thu, 2002-05-30 at 22:32, Greg Long wrote:
> Well, my better half gets on me for use of "colorful metaphors" from
> time to time, but I think a noteable issue would be that if this is a
> discussion about educational matters (K12LTSP and Linux in schools), we
> would hardly use that kind of language in shcools, even though many kids
> do all the time of course.

Actually I would argue that there are times when you *should* use that
sort of language in schools.

Like instructing them on how they should treat others.  "Don't be an
asshole!" is advice more of these little brats need to hear.

The language is not offensive to the kids, in most cases, it is
offensive to overprotective parents.

There are far too many parents that want to keep their little sprogs in
a protective cocoon until they leave home.  (And then wonder why they
crash and burn when they get away from Mommy and Daddy.)  Parents are
supposed to be preparing them for the real world, not extending playtime
indefinitely.

Sorry for the rant, but I get sick of people trying to "protect" kids
just because *they* find it offensive.