New PLUG List - Was: [PLUG] Vulgarity

PLUG Person plug at elite-tek.com
Fri May 31 06:49:43 UTC 2002

- Must comment.

I communicate with my boss regularly with vulgarities.
No I do not communicate with customers with vulgarities unless they are
so free and open with me also.  I conduct business with friends, some of
who aren't all anal about vulgarities.  As you notice though I rarely
post or converse with vulgarities unless the crowd is comfortable with
such trivial adjectives and the like.

Just to note.  Linux is used in the workplace I am in.  We have 2
Penguin Systems running web sites.  We have a Debian box (on some
Gateway junk system) running a mail server because the dual processor P3
w/ 1.5GB RAM that has Exchange on it can't seem to run correctly or work
right.

Then of course we have an internal Database (SQL Server 2000) w/ a front
end developed with Office Visual Basic for Applications, and now moving
to VB.NET and ASP.NET... the reason being that it takes too long and
gets more complicated for all involved to develop and maintain the same
thing for a user base.  Not to mention that it is far to complicated to
manage desktop system with Linux on them vs. Windows 2K Pro boxes.  5
minutes for a Win2K box, about the same for a Linux box, everyone can
use Win2K, no one can use Linux.

The summary of my two little real life examples is this.  Real bosses
make smart moves and use what WORKS and can make money.  In most
situations Windows will make someone more money.  Even with the crashes
because of it's controlled development, lifecycle, blagh blagh blagh.
In many situations Linux can make one money and save a lot of money.  It
just happens that Windows can do this more readily, and is designed and
implemented as such.  Linux revolves around geeks like myself getting
off on cool technological tools, and creating things themselves.  It's
all good but to fight MS & Windows one has to create something with
Linux that the Linux community doesn't particularly want.  Someone that
is accountable to blame, a single source of contact, too many choices is
bad, a central binding development platform that is available in various
but extremely simple IDEs.  The list goes on.

----

Again, please excuse my rant, most of the time I'll just ask or give
technical knowledge.  It just seems there are a lot of good arguments
going on right now in the list and I can't seem to help myself.  :)

ABH