[PLUG] UnitedLinux and LSB

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Fri May 31 13:45:14 UTC 2002

  I read yesterday's online stories about UL, and the little blurb in
today's "Oregonian" (business section) and it all leaves me confused.

  Wasn't the purpose of the Linux Stanard Base (or File System Hierarchy,
IIRC) to do exactly what UL is proposing? That is, Define the filesystems
and their relationships and determine what goes in each one. This all in
order to make any application run on any distribution by knowing that
libraries, conf files and init files will be found in the same relative
position regardless of who packages a distribution.

  I'd really appreciate elucidation of how yesterday's fanfare differs from
what's gone before. As a sidebar, does anyone know where the LSB/FSH is
relative to being stabilized and adopted by distribution packagers?