[PLUG] UnitedLinux and LSB

Alex Daniloff alex at daniloff.com
Fri May 31 15:40:33 UTC 2002

Hello,

>   Wasn't the purpose of the Linux Stanard Base (or File System
Hierarchy,
> IIRC) to do exactly what UL is proposing?

LSB was created as an effort to standardize locations for libraries,
conf files and init files.
Every Linux vendor may voluntary obey or disobey LSB compliance. It
wasn't a mandatory requirement.

United Linux consortium put certain mandatory LSB restrains and
standards to follow for the each member of UL. Therefore all UL
participants will work together to create UL distribution and in the
same time produce their own distros totally compatible between each
other. It will be easier for hardware vendors to produce UL compatible
hardware.

There is another purpose of UL to topple RH dominancy.
Just an example:
Nowdays many commercial HW vendors put on their boxes "Works with Red
Hat Linux" as a sign of compatibility with Linux.
But there are at least 60 other Linux versions in America, Europe and
around the globe. What about them? What's an ignorance!
Haven't you noticed that for a lot of people,especially in US,
Linux=RH? It is not a true and for me it sounds very obsessive.
Kicking RH out of dominance will prevent it from becoming another fat
and bloated a'la M$ Linux software giant.

Alex