[PLUG] Vulgarity: Was: Steve Duin's column of 5/21/02

Miller, Jeremy JMILLER at ci.albany.or.us
Fri May 31 17:36:55 UTC 2002

For the record, I can have a pretty foul mouth.  But I use it pretty
selectively, determined by circumstances.  (Rarely written... to me it just
lacks the punch of the spoken variety, so I don't bother unless it really
fits the situation perfectly.)

I usually don't get offended by language, and don't think it needs
censoring... but think over-reliance on certain words to be borderline
silly, and lacking in creative communicative ability.  (FWIW, I thought your
conversation the other day was hilarious, but am not suprised that some took
offense.  But calling them "stupid"... aren't they allowed to think
differently, without being insulted as well?)

And don't forget... over-use of intensifiers can degrade the intensifying
effect.  (In music, if half the song is played fortissimo, you've lost half
of the communicative effect of dynamics.  Likewise sending email with the
caps-lock on.  A memo with 30% of the text in bold.  The boy that cried
wolf.  And so on.)

> Can you name an adverb that is an intensifier that expresses distaste?

That's way too easy.  How about something as bland and generic as
"scum-sucking"?  You could probably think of up 20 without even getting
interesting.

To me, that question is a cop-out.  That's not even the work of a *good*
cusser.  Good cussers are outstanding communicators, and convey LOTS of
meaning packed with LOTS of emotion.  Sometimes WITHOUT relying heavily on
what people consider "cusswords".

Some examples in media that you can listen to:

Best cusser on the planet:  Mel Blank, as Yosemite Sam.

You always knew exactly what he meant.  Even though he was speaking complete
nonsense, there were no doubts as to what he was communicating.  All the
while making up a new language on the spot, to suit his needs.  And pulling
it off beautifully, in front of kids no less... in a way that doesn't offend
the notoriously picky "protect my kids from all evil" types of parents.  All
I can say is "Wow, that's good".

Runner up:	R. Lee Ermey as Gunny Hartman (Full Metal Jacket)

Did he use language that most would consider obscene?  Hell, yeah he did.
But did he just sit there and rattle off 4 letter words like any idiot
could, hoping that would make his point?  Heck no.  He actually used them
very specifically (almost sparingly) in combinations with other phrases,
like a healthy shot of tabasco right in the middle of a big salad.  The
result could sear the paint off a battleship.  Absolutely brutal.

I'm sure there are more.  But that's good for a start.

> All slang exists to make up for a lack in the academic language.

My point... why rely on academic language at all?  Why rely on any
predefined words, including slang?

String a bunch of words and sounds together your own way, combining
meanings, in phrases.  Make them work for you, to say exactly what you want.

That's the *nix way of doing things anyway, isn't it? :]

Jeremy