[PLUG] OK I'm Dead Now........

Sandy Herring sandy at herring.org
Fri Nov 1 22:13:04 UTC 2002

On Fri, 01 Nov 2002, Nordlund, Brian wrote:
> All-
> My Mandrake 7.2 installation has never been a clean one.
[...]
> Now it's "fixed" alright: just like my dog......
> I read that etc/conf.modules would be the file to edit and add my "insmod
> 8390" statement.  However, my system does not have this file, only a file
> etc/modules.conf and another one etc/modules.

...from the `man' page for modules.conf...

ALTERNATIVE CONFIGURATION FILE
       For  historical  reasons,  if  /etc/modules.conf  does not exist,
       modutils will read /etc/conf.modules instead.  However the use of
       this historical name is deprecated and it should be replaced with
       /etc/modules.conf.  This version of  modutils  issues  a  warning
       message  if /etc/conf.modules exists, later versions will give an
       error message and refuse to load modules.

[...]
> I also edited out the etc/modules file back to being empty, however I
> wonder if it really is empty, since it probably now contains an EOF so it
> probably is now size 1 instead of 0 like it was (maybe it is not supposed
> to be a text file?). Any thoughts?

You can create it as a zero length file by simply...

    cp /dev/null /etc/modules

cheers,
Sandy
--