[PLUG] Finally ready to cut the cord but need some questions answered

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Sat Nov 2 23:40:29 UTC 2002

On Sat, 2 Nov 2002 hilsy at hilsy.com wrote:

> So, I'm willing to try RH at home. However, I need
> equivalents in the linux/gnu world of the multimedia
> options that windows offered. Specifically I need the
> same/equivalent of the following:
>   winamp (for listening to streaming radio, ie
> radioparadise)
>   realplayer (for video; do they make one for
> linux/gnu?)

Jim,

   Don't know. We don't use the computer for these. Others do and will
advise you well.

> Also, admitting that we still live in a wintel dominated world, what
> linux/gnu-based web browser handles the latest web tricks (flash, etc) the
> best?

  We use both mozilla and opera. There are only a few sites that are so
Microsofted that I cannot get a page from them. So I don't. The sites that
have all the eye candy opening stuff almost always have a link to bypass it
and that's what I use. So, these two do the job for me. Why two?

  Mozilla is set up with cookies and java off. Opera is set up with them on
and reports itself as Internet Exploder 5. When a site insists on cookies, I
just switch to the opera desktop and go on from there. Works for us, YMMV.