[PLUG] STARTTLS in Mac OS X mail client?

Randal L. Schwartz merlyn at stonehenge.com
Tue Nov 5 23:27:33 UTC 2002

>>>>> "Paul" == Paul Heinlein <heinlein at attbi.com> writes:

Paul> I'm stymied: it appears that the mail client that ships with Mac OS
Paul> 10.2 does NOT have the ability to use TLS to connect to a SMTP server.

Paul> A search around the AppleCare Support web site was fruitless, as was
Paul> Googling.

Paul> Can anyone confirm or deny my observation?

There are some settings for "use encryption" down in the depths of a
particular connection.  But as is normal in an Apple product, I can't
seem to make out what they do from a technical perspective... just
a marketspeak perspective.

I typed "encrypted mail" into the AppleCare Sherlock, and the
first hit talks about CRAM-MD5.

Ahh, but another link further down talks about

   Mac OS X Mail: About Secure Email Communications (SSL)

That seems to imply that it attempts a IMAPS or POPS connection
in preference to an IMAP or POP connection, *unless* you disable
the magic box.

Does that help?