[PLUG] sometimes, it just works

Paul Heinlein heinlein at attbi.com
Wed Nov 6 22:35:58 UTC 2002

I work at home a couple days a week, at the office the other three.
Normally, I run pine locally and use its IMAP/SSL capabilities to poll
for mail at the place I'm not.

Today, however, I've been running pine remotely via an ssh session.
My ~/.pinerc files are pretty consistent wherever I am, so after a
while I forgot that pine was running on a machine 25 miles from my
workstation.

A couple times, I used pine's 'launch browser' function to view a URL
that someone had put in a message (like the funny MS Nmap one :-).

Odd, I thought. Why is there a slight delay while mozilla pops up?
It's usually much snappier than that.

Then it hit me: mozilla was running on my computer at work, and the
bits were being shipped via an ssh tunnel.

And it just worked.

Reason #493701 I love Linux.

--Paul Heinlein <heinlein at attbi.com>