[PLUG] sometimes, it just works

Russell Senior seniorr at aracnet.com
Thu Nov 7 07:47:11 UTC 2002

>>>>> "Russell" == Russell Senior <seniorr at aracnet.com> writes:

>>>>> "Paul" == Paul Heinlein <heinlein at attbi.com> writes:

Paul> Is this something that needs to be specially built into an app
Paul> like pine, or is it an add-on?

Russell> Good question.  I'm an Emacs/Gnus user and for me it Just
Russell> Works^TM and has for years and years on Mosaic, Netscape and
Russell> Mozilla.  The one caveat being that your local browser has to
Russell> be open already.  I don't know if Pine has the feature built
Russell> in or not, or even for certain that it is using CCI.
Russell> According to the lisp/net/browse-url.el (e.g. for GNU Emacs
Russell> 21.2) it is possible the feature is using another interface.
Russell> See:

Russell>   <http://www.netscape.com/newsref/std/x-remote.html>

Russell> All I know for sure is that it works! ;-)

Looking a little more closely, it seems Emacs is just launching:

  mozilla -remote 'openURL(http://www.any-url.org/,new-window)'

with or without the "new-window" part.  If you can tell pine how to
open URL's, then maybe you can mutate it appropriately.  Looks like
Pine supports this.  c.f.:

  <http://www.cs.indiana.edu/Facilities/FAQ/Mail/pineurl.html>

--
Russell Senior         ``I've seen every kind of critter God ever made,
seniorr at aracnet.com      and I ain't never seen a meaner, lower, more