[PLUG] redhat 8.0, ip forwarding, routing.

gilmanhunt at attbi.com gilmanhunt at attbi.com
Thu Nov 7 16:26:41 UTC 2002

I'm setting up a new firewall for our company. I normally use slackware, but I'm
tired of the slackware way :) Luckily, there are many other distributions
available.
I finally decided on RedHat 8.0 (as you can tell from the subject line); nothing
scientific, more of an ease-of installation/support and practice for their
certification exams.
I'm setting up port forwarding (destination NAT, according to the "Linux 2.4 NAT
HOWTO" written by rusty russell. And towards the end there's a perfect example I
can rewrite to do the NAT the way I want it (a web browser requesting port 80
from the firewall will get port 80 on the "internal" web server).

Here's my question:
Do I need to enable routing, so that the firewall knows to do the routing to the
internal network, or is that "covered" under the NAT ?

-Russ