[PLUG] /dev/dsp --> no sound in Vmware?

AthlonRob athlonrob at data.4t3.com
Fri Nov 8 16:41:52 UTC 2002

On Fri, 2002-11-08 at 08:10, Alex Daniloff wrote:

> Could somebody tell me please how to make
> sound work in Vmware in virtual Win98?
> The sound device which is connected to Vmware
> on Win98 boot up is /dev/dsp but I can't get any
> sound from the inside of Win98.
> The sound in Linux which uses ALSA is working though.
> Thank you in advance for any help or sources of information.

Unless your sound card supports hardware mixing (denoted by the [4] in
the alsa card matrix), you can only have one thing at a time accessing
the hardware - be it VMWare or a sound server like ESD (often found with
gnome) or Arts (always found with KDE).

VMWare doesn't support sound servers because the developers didn't see
fit to include them with the binary-only setup they have going on.

So - if you're in KDE, kill the arts server... otherwise, look for and
kill esd if it is running.

If you're sure /dev/dsp is free (with alsa on non-hardware mixing chips
it seems to always be free - just delaying everything)... ie; no
software mixers running.. then you can also look at Windoze problems and
VMWare problems... are you sure you hit the install button on the device
so it is listed?  Did you install drivers for the sound chip in Windoze
itself?

I'd follow up to some vmware newsgroups... they host their own news
server and there are some smart people there.

Rob