[PLUG] redhat 8.0, ip forwarding, routing.

Anthony Schlemmer aschlemm at attbi.com
Fri Nov 8 18:02:38 UTC 2002

Some of us, depending on our situation, need a firewall that can also
double as a file and/or print server. Yea it's a bad idea to run
services on a firewall box but with a carefully crafted firewall rule
set that restricts access to running services to only systems on the
local network this is indeed possible. I've done this with all of my
home firewall boxes for the last 4 1/2 years now with great success.

It's not as difficult as it might sound at least in my case. Whether I'm
using PPP, or a broadband connection, it's just a matter of blocking
connections on the external network interface of the firewall. With a
dialup this is usually the ppp0 interface and with broadband it's
whatever "ethX" interface the broadband connection is on.

Tony

--
Anthony Schlemmer
aschlemm at attbi.com