[PLUG] dual-boot install

Paul Johnston pjohnston at inetarena.com
Sat Nov 9 08:17:50 UTC 2002

Just attempted to do a dual-boot install of RedHat 7.3 on my Win2k=hda1
computer.  I used Disk Druid to partition my hard drive for the "custom"
install option (/boot=/dev/hda2, /=/dev/hda3, swap=/dev/hda5).  I specified
that LILO should be put in /boot, a necessity to prevent changes to the
NTFS MBR on hda1.

However, also on the bootloader selection screen was a field containing
"hdc=ide-scsi".  I could not figure this out, and there was little or no
information about it in the online help provided by the install.

Part of my dual-boot install scheme was to edit lilo.conf in Linux rescue
mode before the computer did it's first post-install reboot; I was unable
to do this.  Once the last package was installed the CD-ROM tray popped
open and the POST started before I had a chance to react.  The computer
booted based on the lilo.conf file created by the install process.

I was presented with the lilo GUI, and Linux booted just fine.  However,
when I tried to boot into Win2k it was hosed.

Back in Linux, I checked lilo.conf.  Part of it was as follows:

	image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.18-3
		label=linux
		initrd=/boot/initrd-2.4.18-3.img
		read-only
		root=/dev/hda3
		append="hdc=ide-scsi"

Also, in anaconda-ks.cfg was the following:

	bootloader --append hdc=ide-scsi --useLilo

What the heck is 'hdc=ide-scsi'?  Should I have blanked-out that field in
the bootloader selection screen?  I'm going to check Red Hat and Google,
but I would appreciate any input from the PLUG community.

Thanks.

Linux in every box, and C.S. Lewis in every bookpile.

Paul Johnston   ----------->   pjohnston at inetarena.com