[PLUG] Dying Hard Drive

alan alan at clueserver.org
Sat Nov 9 10:52:57 UTC 2002

On Sat, 9 Nov 2002, Paul Heinlein wrote:

> On 8 Nov 2002, AthlonRob wrote:
>
> > So... I'd stay away from IBM drives... buy anything else, really.
> > I haven't heard of anybody else having reliability problems as bad
> > as the IBM ones do.
>
> As for IBM, I've never owned an IBM IDE drive, but my IBM SCSI is, er,
> amazing :-)

Depends when the IBM drive was made.  If it was made before they sold
their drive works off to Hitachi, they are some of the best drives made.
If it is after -- well...

> As for Fujitsu, it's facing mass recalls of drives:
>
>   http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/54/27109.html

Double-plus ungood.

> As for WD and Maxtor, I've never had a single failure from either
> manufacturer (though I've only owned ca. 3 drives from either
> company, so it's not a huge sample).

I have one drive that has failed from Western Digital in the last couple
of years.  (Heat related flakitude.)  They have changed their warrenties.
try and find one with a three year warrenty (8mb buffer) and not the 1
year.

Maxtor's I don't like because they have tended to have weird IDE
interactions.  (Not liking other drives, like Seagates.)

As for Seagate, I have not bought one in a while.  The last Seagate SCSI
drive i had i used to use to heat my apartment. (I wish I was kidding.)

Before replacing the drive, i would make sure it is actually gone bad and
not a bad cable and/or connection.