Mysql Startup Problem Re: [PLUG] (no subject)

Robby Russell matchboy at tearitalldown.com
Tue Nov 12 16:00:30 UTC 2002

Thanks, that did the trick..
Ok, I did a:
...su mysql
mysql]$ safe_mysqld --pid-file=/var/lib/mysql/mysql.pd &
[1] 4458
[mysql at dns mysql]$ Starting mysqld daemon with databases from /var/lib/mysql

working fine now.
still curious as to what caused this..and how to get mysql to start up at
boot time instead of it attempting to and not actually starting

<?echo Matt King managed to take the time to type out the following:
> Who owns the directory /var/lib/mysql?
> You are starting it as root and even root may not have write access to
> that directory.
>
> --
> Matt King
> magnet | internet
> http://www.magnetinternet.com
>
>  Robby Russell busted out the keyboard and typed:
>> When I try to do the following, I get the following:
>>
>> [matchboy at dns root]$ safe_mysqld --pid-file=/var/lib/mysql/mysql.pid &
>> [1] 4155
>> [matchboy at dns root]$ Starting mysqld daemon with databases from
>> /var/lib/mysql
>> /usr/bin/safe_mysqld: line 229:
>> /var/lib/mysql/dns.robbyrussell.com.err: Permission denied
>> /usr/bin/safe_mysqld: line 235:
>> /var/lib/mysql/dns.robbyrussell.com.err: Permission denied
>> tee: /var/lib/mysql/dns.robbyrussell.com.err: Permission denied
>> 021112 07:45:18  mysqld ended
>> tee: /var/lib/mysql/dns.robbyrussell.com.err: Permission denied
>>

>> <?echo Robby Russell managed to take the time to type out the
>> following:
>>> I'm trying to start up mysql...and keep running into this problem.
>>> any thoughts?
>>>
>>> 021112 07:20:39  mysqld started
>>> mysqld got signal 11;
>>> This could be because you hit a bug. It is also possible that this
>>> binary or one of the libraries it was linked agaist is corrupt,
>>> improperly built, or misconfigured. This error can also be caused by
>>> malfunctioning hardware. We will try our best to scrape up some info
>>> that will hopefully help diagnose the problem, but since we have
>>> already crashed, something is definitely wrong and this may fail
>>>
>>> key_buffer_size=8388600
>>> record_buffer=131072
>>> sort_buffer=2097144
>>> max_used_connections=0