[PLUG] Serial Port file transfers

Galen Seitz galens at seitzassoc.com
Tue Nov 12 20:33:29 UTC 2002

> > tera term is an excellent vt100 emulator.  It's free.
> > http://hp.vector.co.jp/authors/VA002416/teraterm.html
> >
> > Personally, I don't trust hyperterminal.  The terminal emulation is poor,
> > and it (or windows) has a propensity to drop characters.
>
> I trust it more than I do Minicom/lrzsz, at least for uploading Cisco IOS
> images.  Everytime I've tried to use Minicom it's mangled the upload
> somehow; when I tried with Hyperterm it's just worked.  Of course that
> makes it hard to do anything other than TFTP updates, since I don't
> actually keep any Windows systems around...

It's interesting you mention this.  I just got through upgrading the
software in my Cisco 675.  I had a terrible time getting the xmodem
transfer to work.  I tried both kermit and minicom.  Each time I started
the transfer, it would just sit there.  I poked around on the net and
found a few people saying that the lrzsz doesn't have a very good xmodem
implementation.  I ended up rebuilding lrzsz from the latest src
rpm I could find.  After trying a couple of times, I finally got
it to transfer.  I'm not certain the newer lrzsz code helped, but
at least my 675 now has current firmware.

galen