[PLUG] RS232 wiring help

Paul Mullen pem at nellump.net
Wed Nov 13 02:15:47 UTC 2002

On Tue, Nov 12, 2002 at 03:49:41PM -0800, Jeme A Brelin wrote:

> Can someone give me a quick chart to show which pins on the RJ45 go to
> which pins on the DB9?  I'm not in a position to get another DB9, so I've
> really got one shot at this or waste a whole day until I can get another
> connector and get back here.

I had a similar need close to a year ago, and found a great article at
the following URL:

<http://www.hostingtech.com/nm/01_09_madness.html>

It gives a very detailed description of how to set up a "modular"
cabling system using CAT-5 cabling (w/ RJ-45 connectors) and various
DB-9/25 serial connector adapters. I found all the parts required at
(gulp) Fry's.

If the link doesn't work, let me know. I archived a copy of the article
locally.

Paul