[PLUG] Streaming media in Linux?

guy1656 guy1656 at ados.com
Wed Nov 13 06:02:44 UTC 2002

Reply regarding Re: [PLUG] Streaming media in Linux? from Dan Young:
: Alex Daniloff said:
: > Hello Linux folkz,
: > Could somebody tell me please what Linux application I can use to  watch
: > video/x-ms-asf mime type streaming files?
:
: http://www2.mplayerhq.hu/MPlayer/DOCS/formats.html#asf
:
: mplayer seems like a jack-of-all-trades media player, notwithstanding
: compilation/installlation issues depending on your distro of choice.

That ("compilation/installlation issues depending on your distro of choice")
has been a show-stopper for me many times.

The MPlayer site introduced me to the term 'lamer' which they define as a
user who installs a program as-is and expects it to run. Geez, that's
probably 90% of the PC users I know of. Thanks.

Also, there was mention of a security issue.

Personallym I wouldn't mind being able to go to a storee and PAY a modest
price in exchange for getting a disk that 'works.'

-GLL