[PLUG] nice process

Anthony Schlemmer aschlemm at attbi.com
Wed Nov 13 05:55:55 UTC 2002

Keep in mind that even if you renice a process, it still may monopolize
all of the CPU time if there aren't any other processes that are ready
to run. With the process reniced to 20, it should hopefully only run
when there are no other processes that need need CPU time.

With your processes reniced, look at the "nice" value that top displays
not what the "idle" time is. The lower the nice value the less CPU time
that is going to your backup and compression processes. You may find
that if no other processes are ready to run that the "nice" value goes
to over 99% as the system is now devoting nearly all of its CPU time to
running the backup and compression processes since no other processes
require any CPU time at a given moment in time.

I've run the distributed.net clients for years now and the client is
reniced to 20 and only gets CPU time when there's no other processes
that need to run. I don't even notice the client is running since it
doesn't impact my system's performance. I do notice when my system
isn't doing a whole lot that the "nice" value in top is up at 99.6%
but that value goes down when other processes need to run.

Tony