[PLUG] No more remote X display

Karl M. Hegbloom karlheg at pdxlinux.org
Wed Nov 13 18:54:32 UTC 2002

On Wed, 2002-11-13 at 08:03, Colin Kuskie wrote:
> After installing 8.0 and then 7.3, I found that I couldn't
> serve X displays to my laptop anymore.  Any ideas about what
> I might have done, and how to fix it?

The X Window System packages probably replaced the init.d script or
changed the line in your inittab that launch the X server or XDMCP
display manager.  They are likely no longer being started with the
option that allows network connections.  If it's gdm, for instance, you
need to edit it's conffile and enable network connections to it.  Also
be sure that your netfilter rules allow connections to it's port from
the networks you wish to allow access.

The same thing may happen each time you upgrade, since the package
management system is apparently not capable of or not set up for keeping
settings like that for you across upgrades.  On a Debian GNU/Linux
system, this should be (but is not always set up to) handled by
"debconf".