[PLUG] Subject: Inet Connection Sharing (Mandrake 8.0 gateway, MDK 9.0 host)

Kevin Cosgrove kevinc at dOink.COM
Wed Nov 13 19:58:32 UTC 2002

Short Summary:  Mandrake Control Center connection sharing broke
		the ability to ping on my LAN.  Can you help?

Details:

I just got a used computer and installed Mandrake 9.0 on it;
call this my "slave" computer.  It's in the same room with my
main computer with Mandrake 8.0 on that; call this my "gateway"
computer.  Last night I configured the eth1 card in the gateway
to be 192.168.0.1 and eth0 in the slave to be 192.168.0.11 with
a gateway of 192.168.0.1.  Both have netmasks of 255.255.255.0.
Then I added name IP address associations in the /etc/hosts files
of both computers, followed by 'service network restart' as root.
At this point both computers could happily ping each other by
name.  Woohoo!

Next I took on the challenge of getting the gateway computer to
share its internet connection; eth0 on the gateway connects to a
DSL router/modem.  I fired up the Mandrake Control Center (MCC)
and followed the internet connection sharing wizard in expert
mode.

Now neither machine can ping the other.  The machine names still
resolve into IP addresses correctly, but I get this error:

PING slave.foobar.com (192.168.0.11) from 192.168.0.1 : 56(84) bytes of data.
>From gateway.foobar.com (192.168.0.1): Destination Host Unreachable

What went wrong!?!

MCC started up a dhcpd daemon serving out addresses
192.168.0.{16-253}.  That's fine, since the static IP for the
slave won't conflict with dhcpd's IP range.  MCC also configured
iptables for me -- and ipchains, but that only fires up for 2.2
kernels, and I'm using 2.4.18.  My iptables config looks like
this at the moment:

Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT)
ACCEPT     udp  --  anywhere             anywhere           udp spt:bootpc dpt:bootps
ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere           tcp spt:bootpc dpt:bootps
ACCEPT     udp  --  anywhere             anywhere           udp spt:bootps dpt:bootpc
ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere           tcp spt:bootps dpt:bootpc
ACCEPT     udp  --  anywhere             anywhere           udp dpt:domain
ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere           tcp dpt:domain

Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT)
ACCEPT     all  --  192.168.0.0/24       anywhere

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)

My hunch is that iptables is somehow blocking the connection
between the two machines.  But, I don't know how to confirm or
repair this.

Can anyone give me some hints?

Thanks....