[PLUG] Wanting software to "just work" (was: Streaming media in Linux?)

Jeme A Brelin jeme at brelin.net
Wed Nov 13 23:43:50 UTC 2002

On Wed, 13 Nov 2002, Mark Griskey wrote:
> For the new Linux "convert", installing an application from source,
> and encountering errors could be very daunting.  Especially if this
> user came from a Windows environment and just wanted to click on a
> file and have it play in something like Windows Media Player.  Having
> installation problems and then looking for answers only to be met with
> brusque responses would be disappointing, maybe enough to make this
> user abandon Linux althogether.
>
> On the other hand, this software is free and is being developed by
> people on their watch.  They are giving it to the community, free for
> anyone to use.  They can behave as they want, it is their project.
> Developing free software and having to offer support for it can be
> very time consuming.

OK, up to here, I agree with you.  We have an anarchic system and people
can and should be left to do whatever they please (though they also can
and should be encouraged to be courteous and helpful and hard-working and
self-actuating).  The new user has a responsibility to put as much time
and effort into learning as he possibly can and the developer has a
responsibility to provide the best software she possibly can.

> So where does that leave Linux from an advocacy point of view?
> Encouraging folks to use Linux, only to have them become frustrated
> isn't going to help wide spread adoption.

Don't let them become frustrated.  Don't leave them in the hands of
developers who have no time for frustrated and frustrating newbies.

> But also criticizing the author of a free piece of software because of
> the developer's attitude or comments isn't going to help either.

Criticizing an author is one thing, whining is another.  If you provide
useful critical commentary, perhaps you can bring about positive change
(or encourage a meaningful code fork).  But if you just complain and want
someone to come be the magic code at the back of an "Install" button, then
you're not criticizing, you're bitching.

> Is the middle ground the responsibility of the major distros?

Absolutely not.  The middle ground is YOU.  If you encourage a convert,
follow up with them.  Help them.  Put them in contact with people who will
give sympathetic support (if you can't do it yourself, which should be
your first choice).

Conversion isn't just getting someone to try Free Software, it's
indoctrination into the community.  You are part of that community and the
closest and most personal part to your new convert.  You can help them
join a larger community when they're ready.  But take some of the
responsibility on yourself right now.

J.
--
     Jeme A Brelin