[PLUG] GRUB won't boot

Kyle Accardi sandbox at pacifier.com
Thu Nov 14 01:46:16 UTC 2002

Cooper Stevenson wrote:
> Assuming your /boot and / partition is /dev/hda1 and your kernel name is
> /boot/vmlinuz_2.4.19:
>
> grub> root (hd0,0)
> grub> setup (hd0)
> grub> kernel /vmlinuz_2.4.19
> grub> boot
>
> That should get you booting again. Note that I have no idea what the
> name of your kernel is (mine is vmlinuz_2.4.19). You may have to mount
> your /boot partition using a rescue disk to find out.

Yeah, I did something like that from the info pages, but it brought up the
grub shell on boot--it wasn't finding my grub.conf file.

Then I got it to bring up the menu on boot, but it created /boot/boot/grub/
which I didn't want.  Per the info pages, this worked

grub> root (hd0,4)
grub> install /grub/stage1 d (hd0) /grub/stage2 p /grub/grub.conf

it's all good now.

This all started because my /boot partition is too small.  (Tip: Don't try
to move /boot when it's mounted)

Now off to see if gpartd will resize partitions.

Cheers,
Kyle Accardi