[PLUG] Linux = Unix?

Paul Heinlein heinlein at attbi.com
Thu Nov 14 17:13:55 UTC 2002

On Thu, 14 Nov 2002, Scott VanHoosen wrote:

> I've heard Linux called Unix, and I've heard it called a
> Linux-clone. Is Linux truly Unix? If not, how do you define Unix?

Linux is not UNIX.

"UNIX" refers to the operating system originally developed by the AT&T
Bell Labs and its partners. The UNIX code is copyrighted and is in no
way Free. The UNIX trademark is currently managed by The Open Group:

  http://www.unix-systems.org/

Linux is a UNIX workalike. It emulates the UNIX system calls, libc
base, the "everything's a file" philosophy, POSIX specs, and many
other traits -- but there is no UNIX code in Linux, nor has The Open
Group certified Linux under any of its UNIX standards.

--Paul Heinlein <heinlein at attbi.com>