[PLUG] spam legislation in the mill

Brian Beattie beattie at beattie-home.net
Thu Nov 14 22:26:21 UTC 2002

On Thu, 2002-11-14 at 11:03, Bill Thoen wrote:
> Bill Spears wrote:
> >
> > Why not make it legal to attack the offender's systems?  Or we could use the
> > technique of England against Spain and commision privateers who would have
> > the right to retaliate against the systems of spammers.
> >

> Here's a description and some real examples of "Letters of
> Marque" for an enterprising cyber-privateer:
>
> http://www.geocities.com/Tokyo/Garden/5213/marque.htm
>
> Maybe if we all chip in we can offer a bag of gold to whoever can
> engage Korea, Inc. and blow it to boxwood. ;-)  Seems to me that
> direct action is about all that will make spammers sit up and
> take notice. I doubt the govt can make a law against spamming
> that will hurt the spammers more than it will hurt the rest of
> us.

Letters of Marque against spammers, hmmm would make interesting fiction
even if it is not practical :)

--
Brian Beattie            | Having had the honor of being selected
beattie at beattie-home.net | for a Resource Action by my former employer,
                         | it is my pleasure to announce my immediate
www.beattie-home.net     | availability, contract or permanent.
Embedded Systems, Linux/Unix internals Software Engineer