[PLUG] Shutdown won't power down

Derek Loree derek at infotects.com
Fri Nov 15 18:09:19 UTC 2002

On Fri, 2002-11-15 at 08:42, Percival, Ray wrote:
> OK so ignore the P1 part of the question I have almost identical kernel/BIOS settings with a brand new AMD based box. Mostly I don't mind but my wife would like the auto shutdown. So does anyone have any thoughts on how to implement from this point?

This is probably not the answer you are looking for, but I "fixed" by
powerdown by selecting the "use real mode to power down" option while
configuring my kernel (I always compile a kernel for each system that I
install).  Make sure that you select the "enable APM on boot" as well.

This option is probably enabled in most pre-compiled kernels, but the
"enable APM on boot" is not.  To enable APM on these kernels, you need
to have your bootloader tell the kernel to turn it on.

Good Luck

Derek Loree